MCAT Study Tips

I can't believe around this time last year I was spending a majority of my day studying for the MCAT! It feels like that was so long ago. I'm glad I was committed though, because it truly made a difference in my score. Below I have listed some of the ways I used to study for the MCAT and how useful I believe they were in retrospect

Kaplan MCAT In-Person Course ~ I was lucky enough to get a scholarship for this course. It was definitely helpful to have someone that had taken the MCAT and done super well on it to answer my questions and concerns. It also definitely helped to have them go through common problems and topics. However, if you can't afford this course - don't fret. I think there are definitely other ways you can prepare too! If cost is a concern, be sure to sign up for Kaplan's email program, because they send deals and discounts sometimes. Also, look into getting a scholarship with them as well.

Kaplan MCAT Online Access ~ This was super helpful. I would highly recommend this, as they have an "MCAT Channel" with videos coming up basically every day on different topics the MCAT covers. Most importantly, though, are the MCAT practice tests and question banks they offer. The Kaplan ones are great, but I would definitely pay most attention to the official MCAT ones. I found the Kaplan ones gave me lower scores in general. I also found the Kaplan Chem/Physics questions to be a lot different than the actual section when I took the real test.

Kaplan flashcards ~ BUY THESE. They are generally less than $20 online and are perfect to use on the go. I would bring them everywhere with me and then go over them whenever I had a free moment - in line to order at a restaurant, at the park with the kid I babysit, etc. These were probably my best purchase (although practice tests would have been if they hadn't been included in my scholarship).

Anki ~ This is a flashcard app you can download onto your laptop or phone. It shows you the flashcards based on patterns that are supposed to mimic our best learning patterns. I made flashcards with all the formulas and units I needed to memorize for the MCAT. This definitely helped me remember those. It's free on the computer, but I think it may cost something to download on your phone (I only used it on my computer). Definitely worth a download -> https://apps.ankiweb.net/

These four were my main study tools. Truly my main advice is ~ TAKE PRACTICE TESTS! It's the easiest way to figure out what you need to work on and makes you more prepared for what's at stake.

Comments

Popular Posts