Niffler the Albino Hedgehog

The holidays are always hectic, but I just experienced a little extra antics this week! When I was driving Monday night, I noticed what looked oddly like a hedgehog walking along the road. Of course, this was an unusual sight as hedgehogs are most definitely NOT indigenous to Charleston, SC. I pulled over and, sure enough, a little tiny hedgehog was scrambling down the road. I scooped him up and brought him home!

When I got home, I realized not only that he was an African pygmy hedgehog but that he was albino! I checked several sites to see if hedgehogs were listed as missing in the area and found no matches. We made him a little temp home in a plastic bin and then scurried off to Petco to buy some supplies so he had somewhere comfy to sleep that night.

There is still no sign of an owner, so I think he will be my new rescue. I am taking him to the vet in the afternoon to make sure he didn't pick up any parasites or illnesses on his little road trip. I am still in disbelief that this is happening. I always dreamed of rescuing a hedgehog from a local rescue and naming him Niffler, but I never imagined I'd be so involved in his rescue! It was cold enough Monday night that he could have gone into fatal hibernation. And he could have easily been hit by a car. I saved my newest little buddy.

I can't wait to study with this little guy for medical school next year. He's nocturnal so I am hoping he will help me stay up for future all-nighters and study sessions.

My little hedgie (pay no attention to the messy closet in the background - that is this weekend's project).

Well, I wasn't expecting two of my posts in a row to be adoption stories, but life is fun like that. I am so thankful for the life God has given me. <3

Comments

Popular Posts