Button Cookies

Tonight I am sharing one of my favorite recipes from childhood - button cookies! I am making them tonight with my doctor's uniform cookie cutters I mentioned in the last post.

Before I divulge the recipe, let me explain why they are called button cookies - they are normally shaped like buttons. I will explain below how to make them in a button shape. When I make them in the shape of buttons, I normally use my biscuit cutters I bought at the Coastal Cupboard in Mount Pleasant, SC. They are nice, because they come in 8 or so different sizes. Also, one edge of the cutter is serrated and the other smooth, so you can have more variety in your buttons!

Also, I no longer have the source of this recipe as my grandma found it in some form of media when I was very young. If anyone has the original source so I can credit them, please let me know!



Button Cookies

Ingredients:
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 ½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions:
Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg and almond extract. Sift together flour and salt; add to butter mixture and mix well. Divide in half and chill one hour.

Roll out half of dough ¼ inch thick ~ cut with 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies on greased cookie sheet. Make indention in center of each cookie with the top of a small 1 ½ inch diameter drinking glass (I use biscuit cutters). Make four holes in center of each cookie with drinking straw. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes or until buttons are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough. Makes about 3 ½ dozen cookies.


Comments

Popular Posts